Blog title
Hey! I've moved. You'll be directed to my new blog in 3...2...1...

WHAT CAN WRITERS LEARN FROM TURTLES?

Wednesday, December 2, 2009

A LOT!

I fell in love with sea turtles when I went to the Charleston, S.C. Aquarium several years ago. I just love those great big creatures. Not too long after that I started thinking about how turtles could help me as a writer.

sea turtles Pictures, Images and Photos
I don't know a lot about turtles but I do know that some are endangered.

The more I've learned about turtles the more infatuated I am.

Galápagos tortoise

Colossochelys/Testudo Atlas Pictures, Images and Photos


Turtles have:

1. A hard shell-for protection. That hard shell is something all writers must develop to protect ourselves from rejection. Let’s face it; I don’t think too many of us look forward to getting rejections from potential publishers. We have to find ways of coping with rejection so we can move on and continue to write what is important, entertaining, encouraging, and meaningful.

2. A slow and steady gait. You know the old story of the tortoise and the hare. Who won that race? The tortoise!

3. Pull that head inside. Turtles can pull their heads in (but not the Green Sea Turtle) and protect themselves that way as well. I also think that’s a turtle’s way of sleeping and thinking.

4. The belly of some turtle's is soft. That happens to us as writers too if we don’t get our exercise. Some Green Turtles can weigh up to 700 pounds! I bet some types of turtle or tortoise weigh even more.


Do you have any ideas you can add to this list? Do you know a lot about turtles? I have a feeling I'll be posting more about these incredible creatures in the future.

sea turtles Pictures, Images and Photos

6 comments:

  1. Long lives and the most learned, ancient-looking wrinkly eyelids and eyes. We participated in a learn-about-rescue activity at South Padre Beach, Texas. Oh, I love them like you do.

    Blessings, Inkie.
    Patti

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Patti,
    You turtle girl, you! Aren't they just fascinating? So what do you think writers can learn from turtles? :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. You sure hooked me with that blog title girly.

    I am 'slow and steady wins the race'.
    Last year we saw a dead sea turtle on the beach in NC. Huge. So sad. I'm jealous of Patti's beach encounters.

    I'm afraid I have a hard shell too. That can be good . . . and bad.
    I'll be praying for you on Monday

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Deb,
    I just love those turtles. I think we have much to learn from them. I'll study them at length some day. Thanks for the prayers. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Years ago, I had a home care patient whose pet turtle disappeared for days at a time. The woman didn't know where it was or what it was doing. My husband and friends wonder the same thing about me sometimes.
    Victoria

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Victoria,
    Thanks for stopping by. I wonder what the turtle was up to as well? :) More writerly behavior! I can add that to my list. Have a wonderful Christmas and a very Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete