Blog title
Hey! I've moved. You'll be directed to my new blog in 3...2...1...

Refuse To Live In Fear

Sunday, January 17, 2010

Photobucket

I’ve wrestled with different types of fear my entire life. My parents separated when I was six. I had nightmares until I was in college related to the fear that many kids believe, and that’s that they are somehow responsible for the break up of their parents. Not true, yet many kids feel or have felt this way.

I was very sick and hospitalized when I was in second grade. In 1963 children were on wards and in beds next to each other, (at least it was my experience). The children on either side of me died. I became afraid of death. My brother died when he was 27 years old and I was 29. I became even more afraid of death.

PhotobucketI experienced a lot of other reasons to fear in my lifetime: car accidents, my own children’s illnesses, the death of friends, the death of other family members. The list goes on and on. I’m 54 now and I’m not afraid most of the time. Do I occasionally let my fears slip in? Yes. I’m not able to banish my fears completely, but I finally figured out that no matter how hard I try, in my human strength, I cannot keep bad things at bay. I don’t have control. God does. All I can do is the best I can do, trust God for the rest, and remember the mustard seed.

PhotobucketHe replied, "Because you have so little faith. I tell you the truth, if you have faith as small as a mustard seed, you can say to this mountain, 'Move from here to there' and it will move. Nothing will be impossible for you." Matthew 17:20 NIV

So have faith, not fear. Peace, not fear. Trust, not fear. Hope, not fear.

Bible for HopeIn my counseling Bible, The Bible for Hope, NKJV, the introduction to Numbers talks about fear. The first paragraph states, “Fear can immobilize. Fearful people often do not think straight and run off in the wrong direction to escape the source of their fear. The world can be quite scary, and at times, Christians will become afraid. On those occasions, they can either run away from God, thinking that he cannot handle their fears, or they can run to God for protection.”
Photobucket“For God has not given us a spirit of fear, but of power and of love and of a sound mind.” (NKJV). 2 Timothy 1:7

Photobucket


Question: What are you afraid of? What are you going to do about it?

6 comments:

  1. Jill, what an INCREDIBLE POST. Oh, the lion image, the graveyard image, the personal stories. YOU ARE AN INCREDIBLE WRITER, GIRL!!!!

    Thank you ever so much for writing this.

    Hmmm. Right now I'm not afraid of much...but it's only by God's strength that I could EVER feel this way. Perhaps more hopeful/regretful over some past mistakes...

    Blessings, Dear One.
    Patti

    www.pattilacy.com/blog

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Patti!
    I've also noticed that my fear is smothered by my faith and by God's grace. I still get scared if caught in an ice storm because of past experiences, but not nearly as scared of many things that used to bother me so much in the past.
    See ya later sweetie.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, Jilly...

    Thank you for such for sharing your past struggles. You have come so far, girl, and I couldn't be prouder of you. Having suffered from agoraphobia for years--unable to go grocery shopping without a girlfriend's hand to hold; avoiding the freeway, movie theatres, and the Mall--walking out my front door fearlessly is not something I take for granted. And just knowing that there are other women who have made that journey (in their own way) gives me comfort and assurance that God is faithful to complete what He has started in us.

    I treasure our friendship and expect great things for you this year.

    Blessings always,

    Kimberly

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello Kimberly!
    So great to hear from you. I just never know who is going to show up on my blog.:)

    I am so glad that I now know, "that God is faithful to complete what He has started in us." I know there was a time I doubted that. Thanks for sharing your heart. Fear can be such a powerful thing, but if we hang tight to Him we can find the courage to put one foot in front of the other and keep on moving forward.
    Here's to our friendship and the completion of God's plan for our lives.
    Hoping for the best. Believe it!
    Smiles,
    Jilly

    ReplyDelete
  5. Fear is definitely something I struggle with! One of the biggest. But I've overcome so many things just by trusting and believing God. God is the God of all comfort. He never leaves me alone, and that's the key to not letting fear take over. God is with me, and I am more than conqueror! Hallelujah! LOL!

    Great post, Jill. :-) Praying for this to be a great year for your writing career!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Melanie,
    Now that you've conquered your fears there's nothing to hold you back! :) Okay, we all slide back now and then, don't we? I know I do. That's when I have to get into the word and have nice long talks with all my friends. Look what you've accomplished!
    Smiles.

    ReplyDelete