Blog title
Hey! I've moved. You'll be directed to my new blog in 3...2...1...

Change Your Thoughts

Tuesday, March 20, 2012


 There really is power in the ability to change our thoughts. Norman Vincent Peale wrote about that ability in many of his books. The most famous of those was probably The Power of Positive Thinking.  One of his most famous quotes is, Change Your Thoughts, Change Your World. I believe that. It's difficult to do though so I thought I'd tweak that quote a bit to, Change your words, change your thoughts, change your world.

As a full-time college counselor I see many students for test anxiety issues. They become so overwhelmed by many factors that by the time they decide to seek help and come to my office the words I hear most often are, "I can't." And their thoughts have been stewing in negatives for a long time. I'm not sure who said, "Whether you think you can, or you think you can't, you're probably right." The mind and the mouth are powerful weapons.

Philippians 4:8 ESV, Finally, brothers, whatever is true, whatever is honorable, whatever is just, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is commendable, if there is any excellence, if there is anything worthy of praise, think about these things.

Proverbs 18:21 ESV Death and life are in the power of the tongue, and those who love it will eat its fruits.

Positive thinking isn't instead of faith. It isn't a religion. It's simply a tool to achieve change, change for the better.

Think for a minute what you say to yourself in the morning before you get out of bed. Are you saying words that will lift you up and start your day well? Or are you saying words of defeat before the feet even hit the floor? Here's some positive thinking thoughts you might want to consider putting in your arsenal.

  • Joy is the infallible sign of the presence of God. Madeleine L'Engle
  •  Positive thinking will let you do everything better than negative thinking will. Zig Zigler
  •  It's always too early to quit. Norman Vincent Peale
  •  A positive mind anticipates happiness, joy, health and a successful outcome of every situation and action. unknown
  • I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me. Philippians 4:13


How many times have you been criticized lately? Criticism is a difficult thing to give and to get. How we use our words and how much thought goes into why we are being critical can make a profound difference. My agent blogged on Do you have a thick skin? on Monday, March 19th.You might want to take a look at this and the responses. Using positive words when constructive criticism is required can make a huge difference.

If you are a writer, just think about the many times you've already had to deal with rejection and criticism of your manuscript. It's important to have resilience in order to keep from getting stuck in negative emotions. Positive thinking can help. How you think about yourself is as important as eating healthy food. Thinking positive is a lifestyle change and it takes time. Like most things that take time, it's well worth the effort.

What are some positive thoughts you use?





7 comments:

  1. This is so true, Jillian. I am a negative person, but my hubby is positive. He has brought me over to his side throughout our 24yrs together.

    But it is hard for me to find a positive thing to focus on in the morning! Scripture is best for me. I read my Bible first thing when I get into work. It sets the tone for my whole day.

    Great post!

    Ruth

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi there Ruth,
    I was at a conference today on resilience. I'll have to blog about that sometime soon. Now, rather than say that you are the negative and hubby the positive. I've had friends accuse me of being Eyore in the past and Randy being Tigger. Not true. I insist that I'm a realist and he's just overactive.:)I know, we've been married 30 years. No, I admit that he is the optimist and I've learned optimism but still think my realistic outlook helps in a variety of ways. Such as the balance in the checkbook. :)And I have developed a thick skin over time although I'm still very sensitive. I try to listen carefully to what another person is saying to me if it's something critical and congratulate myself when I don't respond in a positive way of some kind no matter the feedback.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I prefer to call myself a realist too!! :D

    ReplyDelete
  4. I decided to compare the differences in the dictionary. This is from dictionary.com
    Realist,
    a person who tends to view or represent things as they really are.

    optimism

    — n
    1. the tendency to expect the best and see the best in all things
    2. hopefulness; confidence
    3. the doctrine of the ultimate triumph of good over evil
    4. the philosophical doctrine that this is the best of all possible worlds

    I'm thinking I like both of these. I especially like, 3. the doctrine of the ultimate triumph of good over evil.

    ReplyDelete
  5. A couple of my favorites postive thoughts are "What doesn't kill me makes me stronger," and "I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me."

    ReplyDelete
  6. Catherine,
    I love "I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me." However, the term "What doesn't kill me makes me stronger," has always grated on my nerves. The stuff in my life that hasn't killed me has been so painful that I dont' care if it makes me stronger or not. It just makes me throw my hands in the air and say something like, "God, are you seeing this? You can't be serious." I prefer to say, What doesn't kill me, makes me really mad. Or what doesn't kill me, doesn't kill me. Sometimes I just get tired of the trials.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I was very pleased to find this site. I definitely enjoyed reading every little bit of it and I have it bookmarked to check out new stuff posted regularly.
    attitude of gratitude

    ReplyDelete