Blog title
Hey! I've moved. You'll be directed to my new blog in 3...2...1...

Just A Spoonful of Sugar

Tuesday, April 3, 2012


I've been sick for  four days. I've got the sore throat, allergy, bronchitis, achy-breaky all over kind of flu. Blah! I find this to be an incredible waste of time. But after going to the doctor and finding out that I didn't have strep throat and I wasn't getting an antibiotic, that I was just going to have to rest and get better, I finally accepted my fate. Sometimes no matter what we do we're going to get sick. Of course I completely blame this illness on my husband who contributed to my demise.
So I'm trying to quit feeling sorry for myself. But you know how it is when others are counting on you at work and you just can't show up. I get a severe case of the guilts even though it's out of my control. Even staying home and trying to write doesn't come easy. In fact, speaking of guilt I have not written on my current novel that has a June 1st deadline in three days.Guilt. Guilt. Guilt. Okay. I'm letting go of the guilt. I am. Right now. At least I'm going to try. So sitting here all sicky I thought I'd let you know about The Well Writer, just in case you don't know.




Last summer Bonnie Calhoun, Christian Fiction Online Magazine was looking for new ideas for columns for this awesome publication. I suggested a Well Writer Column. :) And now I have a column. Did I tell you she has an incredible sense of humor.  I wanted to utilize other folks for this column to spread as much knowledge as possible for those of us who write. You can look through the archives to read through all the columns. This month Serena B. Miller has written a column that will cause you to stop and reconsider the simplicity that a lot of us probably miss out on while caught up with all the things we think must be done. Please read Amish Wellness Lessons when you get a chance.

Here's some other thoughts on staying healthy.                                                    

I figure if I just sat here and wrote this blog I can at least get a little writing done. Just as soon as I take another nap. :)

Okay creative ones. I need to kick start my writing again this week. What do you do to  get back on track while your still feeling blah and then as you get a little stronger?

5 comments:

  1. Congrats on the column, Jillian. And I hope you feel better soon.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Definitely go easy on yourself! When you are sick, it's hard to write, and as your deadline isn't for another two months, you are totally fine with taking the time you need to heal.

    Here's a thought that really helped me get on track. James Scott Bell wrote somewhere that "if you're not thinking about your protagonist off and on all day long, your protagonist is not interesting enough." This was so helpful to me! I was having trouble because my protagonist had not yet really interested me. Once I'm interested in my protag, or in one of the supporting players, I get drawn into the writing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Rosslyn,
    Great advice. And JSB's reminder is a good one. Thanks so much. I just wish I wasn't such a turtle when it comes to writing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Catherine!
    Please check out the magazine. You'll love it. You can get a widget for it. It's in the column on the right. I'm starting to feel a bit better, but no energy and still croupy. You'll laugh at this, my doctor said that some of her other patients not only put Vick's Vapor Rub on their chests but their feet too! She said they swear it works so I'm trying that tonight. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Okay. Finally after no significant improvement and missing work all week, the docs have decided to call in an antibiotic for me. Expect to be feeling much better soon. Yeah!

    And I discovered while sick that I shouldn't have been worrying about the writing so much as Rosslyn said. However, I discovered with just being able to sit in front of the computer that I could easily tweet information and do a bit of marketing. So the next time you get sick, take this into consideration.

    ReplyDelete