Blog title
Hey! I've moved. You'll be directed to my new blog in 3...2...1...

STRESSED? PART ONE

Tuesday, August 17, 2010

Photobucket

PhotobucketIF taking care of yourself usually shows up on the bottom of your to be done list it’s time to make a change. Women especially are at risk for depression because we tend to be the first line of defense in our families to take care of others and not us. As a Licensed Independent Social Worker counseling nursing students, I deal with mental health issues every day at work. But what many of us don’t think of until we get depressed or suffer from anxiety is what does mental health look like? What is a definition of mental health as opposed to mental illness?

One definition of mental health is:
–noun
1. psychological well-being and satisfactory adjustment to society and to the ordinary demands of life.
________________________________________
Origin:
1825–35
Dictionary.com Unabridged
Based on the Random House Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2009.

My definition of Mental Health is the absence of disease and the enjoyment of life. I like to say the absence of dis-ease. Just like any other part of the human body the human mind can have illnesses. You can read up on all of these problems at http://www.nami.org/ . You can help stamp out the stigma against those with mental illness just by becoming informed and sharing your knowledge. I think Jesus demostrated the objective of mental health when HE said:

Photobucket"Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest. Matthew 11:28 NIV. It's not just our bodies that need rest but our minds as well.


There are many ways to relieve stress in our lives (my top pick is massage, bet you couldn't guess). I think other effective strategies are 1) Talking about your problems with someone you trust, 2) Pray and seek God’s wisdom for your particular concerns, 3) Set healthy boundaries, in other words, learn to say no. Resource: Boundaries (When to Say YES When to Say NO To Take Control of Your Life) Dr. Henry Cloud, and Dr. John Townsend, and 4) Excercise that releases endorphins and helps you feel better.

I followed my own advice and got a massage yesterday. Ahhhh. How are you coping with stress?

2 comments:

  1. Ahhh, I can relate.
    How do I cope with stress? Truly trying to let God manage my day.

    He's a GREAT TIMEKEEPER.

    Blessings, dear one
    P

    ReplyDelete