Blog title
Hey! I've moved. You'll be directed to my new blog in 3...2...1...

Bedlam Tuesday/Mental Illness Awareness Week/History of The Peoria State Hospital

Tuesday, October 5, 2010

October 3 through the 9th is Mental Illness Awareness Week



The history and treatment of mental illness is heartbreaking. How anyone could think that these "treatments" could help someone is tragic. The complications of the mind are mysterious. Ever think of how you might join God in helping those who suffer from depression, anxiety, obsessive-compulsive disorder, and other complicatons of the mind today? You can make a difference.  http://www.nami.org/

2 comments:

  1. Jill,
    I read "The Bell Jar" last weekend for the first time. What a sad, sad story!
    While researching my family history, I found out at least two of my female ancestors were institutionalized in the early 1900s. It raises so many questions for me, as I deal with depression myself and see it in my immediate family.
    For myself, I pray that by sharing my own struggles, I'll be able to help others step out of the darkness and into the light of Christ's love. That was what struck me about Sylvia Plath's story: she couldn't/wouldn't reach out for help because of her illness. She needed someone to reach out to her!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Niki,
    I applaud your willingness to talk about your own depression. It makes a big difference in my opinion when we share information with each other instead of hiding it under the rug. Still, I understand everyone may not feel as though that's something they want to share for varying reasons. And because some people have so much difficulty reaching out for help that's even more reason that we all educate ourselves about mental health issues. I bet there are not many families if any that are not touched by some form of mental illness.

    And even though two of your ancestors were institutionalized in the early 1900's it's hard to say what may have happened. People were institutionalized needlessly in those days and some were locked up just because their relatives didn't want to be burdened for one reason and another.

    Thanks for dropping by Niki.

    ReplyDelete